Re: FreeBSD and NTFS

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 12:37 Canada/Eastern,
<ziggy at one2net.co.ug> wrote:

> I was wondering what FreeBSD version can mount win2k NTFS partition[s]
> read,write.

The mount_ntfs(8) manual page on:

   [jabley at felix]% uname -mrns
   FreeBSD felix.automagic.org 5.0-RELEASE-p7 i386
   [jabley at felix]%

says:

  HISTORY
      The mount_ntfs utility first appeared in FreeBSD 3.0.

It also says this, though:

CAVEATS
      This utility is primarily used for read access to an NTFS volume.
See
      the WRITING section for details about writing to an NTFS volume.

WRITING
      There is limited writing ability.  Limitations: file must be
nonresident
      and must not contain any sparces (uninitialized areas); compressed
files
      are also not supported.

I don't know how that writing behaviour has changed between releases;
you might want to go and look at different versions of the mount_ntfs
man page here:

   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=mount_ntfs

and specify different FreeBSD release versions in the right-hand
drop-down box until you find out.

Joe

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org