Re: Tanzanian ISPs move closer to establishing an Internet exchange

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 12:53:32PM +0000, ALAIN PATRICK AINA wrote:

> > could you give us the basis for the $400m figure?
>
> Do you also want to know the basis when WHO said " MALARIA KILLS ONE PERSON
> EVERY 20 SECOND IN AFRICA"? ;-)

That statistic can easily be checked: it equates to about 1.5m people dying
per year, which sounds plausible to me, and I trust the WHO to count the
death certificates.

But the $400m figure seems ludicrous. Surely all the ISPs in Africa together
don't even spend that much on transit and link costs? And then only a small
fraction of that can be saved by peering.

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org