RE: Tanzanian ISPs move closer to establishing an Internet exchange

In Kenya we started the IX when _AL_ absolutely _ALL_ the web-hosting was
on servers in the US.

Only mail was being exchanged initially but within three hours of peering
between four ISPs, Africa Online's 64k link was fried and went into
congestion collapse.

That's something called pent-up demand. Basically TCP/IP slows itself down
to accomodate the slow VSAT links that exchange traffic via overseas IXs,
but as soon as there is a faster pipe, TCP/IP speeds up and the effects
can be quite alarming if the rate of increase is interfered with by
bandwidth limitations....

Longwe

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org