Re: Tanzanian ISPs move closer to establishing an Internet exchange

On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 19:45, ALAIN PATRICK AINA wrote:

> >  Any idea where www.nepad.org is hosted ?
>
> in austria

Question: why in the first place do most folks have the websites hosted
outside Africa.? IMHO after a good number of years in the ISP industry
in Kenya, it boils down to connectivity.

Fact when the KIXP went online 14th February 2002 we had less than 1MB
of traffic exchanging at the IX. Today we are avg at 2 Mbps if not more
thats about 1 yr and 2 months later.

Is all the increase in local email traffic.? NO!. Right now the radio
stations are streaming data, i have seen alot of web content being
brought back into the local ISP colo facilites and so on.

IMHO put the infrastructure in place and the local web content will
develop as there will be more incentive for it to. I believe that there
are "tonnes" of African Web Content, its just not here with us, its
somewhere out there.

The statistics we get from SA is that 70% of the traffic is local 30% is
to Europe and US, where did they start .. IX or Content ..?

Regards,

Michuki.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org