Re: Tanzanian ISPs move closer to establishing an Internet exchange

      On Tue, 13 May 2003, Brian Candler wrote:
    > On the generous assumption that within-country traffic counts for
    > 20% of volume...

That's not a generous assumption, that's a very low assumption,
particularly as it doesn't take into account the return of hosting which
occurs in the wake of exchange construction.  Try 35% domestic and 50%
intra-African as better numbers.  Which puts us at a $800M total bandwidth
+ transit market.

Now, I _don't_ have an actual figure for this, which is why I'm very
curious to see Brian's references, but that doesn't seem terribly
outlandish to me.

    > If that's true, they could easily launch their own satellite
    > between them; that would only cost a few hundred million.

Mm, it sounds like perhaps you're someone who lives in a credit economy.

    > It's as much about quality of service as anything.

Bzzt.  Try again.  That's self-congratultory bullshit.  In the world the
rest of us live in, cost always trumps quality of service.

    > That was the question, but the answer is on his stolen laptop :-)

And what there is deserving of a smiley-face?

                                -Bill

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org