RE: Tanzanian ISPs move closer to establishing an Internet exchange

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Mark Tinka wrote:

> Makes sense to me. 2Mbps in the US or UK can be got for slightly under
> $1,800, or even less. In Africa, that's what it costs an end user to
> purchase a 128Kbps circuit. So, yes, we are definitely not profiting from
> it, and the satellite companies are.

my latest figures show 1MB of IP in the US/UK going for between $40-$90
depending on the amount you're buying.

As Antonio has indicated, ith's the space segment (and in some cases
backhaul) that cots $$$$$ - and our friends are milking us for every cent.

:-(

Longwe

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org