RE: Tanzanian ISPs move closer to establishing an Internet exchange

Very true. Space segment from the satellite service providers is what puts
the price at a high.

That's why the introduction of DVB services will most likely, lower the
entry and recurring costs for maintaining satellite transponder space. With
the ability to spread your bandwidth over several PoPs downlinking from off
the same satellite, at no extra charge, may be more scalable and manageable,
over time; but won't solve the whole problem.

Already, Multichoice provides DTH [Direct-To-Home] services on downlink-only
satellite systems, albeit more expensive than your average cable company in
the UK and US, fairly reasonable under the circumstances. I guess between
$30 to $60 a month. This is DVB technology, that could drive the prices even
lower.

Regards,

Mark Tinka - CCNA
Network Engineer