7 Kampala Rd,
Tel:   +256-41-258143
Fax:   +256-41-258144
E-mail: mtinka at africaonline.co.ug
Web:     www.africaonline.co.ug

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-afnog at afnog.org [mailto:owner-afnog at afnog.org] On Behalf Of
Brian Candler
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 11:57 AM
To: antonio at nambu.uem.mz
Cc: Bill Woodcock; John Tully; afnog at afnog.org
Subject: Re: Tanzanian ISPs move closer to establishing an Internet exchange

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 09:08:11AM +0200, antonio at nambu.uem.mz wrote:
> I don't know about numbers but I know that we aren't profiting from
> it and the satellite providers are overprofiting to such an extent that
> now you get thousands of satellite providers coming to you
> everyday to offer you their services. They get a transponder which
> will take up to 45Mbps of traffic, they will sell portions of 1Mbps,
> 2Mbps, 5Mpbs and make a huge profit on that transponder. As I am
> told, a transponder costs about US$45,000.00 a month and they
> charge as much as US$15,000.00 for 2Mbps. So per transponder
> they can get as much as US$360,000.00 a month..... That's what I
> am told....

Sounds like there is scope for a consortium of smaller African ISPs to buy a
transponder and divide the bandwidth (and costs) between its members - if
there is sufficient trust between them to achieve this.

It does sound like these resellers are making excessive profits, but then
again they are also taking some risks. If a client ISP folds or stops paying
their bills, then the reseller ends up paying for the segment anyway; they
also pay for unused portions on the transponder.

Cheers,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org
To send a request to majordomo, e-mail majordomo at afnog.org and put your
request in the body of the message (i.e use "help" for help)

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org