Re: Africa spends US$400 million on internal traffic

      On Thu, 15 May 2003, Randy Bush wrote:
    > to be able to give numbers that can be substantiated, not hot air,
    > to the decision makers who we need to support exchange points.

Okay, fair enough...  Do you have in mind regulators and governmental
folks, or telco folks?  To my mind, the former aren't actually much of a
problem, and we don't really need their money...  The latter, telco execs,
seem to me to be much more at issue.  The thing is, they don't need to
know other people's numbers, or even aggregate numbers, to make a
decision...  They just need to know where to look within their own
organizations, and what algorithms to apply to make their own estimates.

    > folk who have the authority to spend real money seem to have this
    > silly obsession with justifying the expenditures.  if we can give
    > them hard numbers life becomes a *lot* simpler.  if we give them
    > suspicious numbers, it can poison the well and be worse than no
    > numbers at all.

Agreed.

                                -Bill

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org