7 Kampala Rd,
Tel:   +256-41-258143
Fax:   +256-41-258144
E-mail: mtinka at africaonline.co.ug
Web:     www.africaonline.co.ug

-----Original Message-----
From: John Tully [mailto:tully at mikrotik.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2003 3:20 PM
To: mtinka at africaonline.co.ug; 'Robert'; afnog at afnog.org
Subject: RE: Router with bandwidth management

Hello Mark,

>John, I've had experience with Packeteer, and unless they cleaned up
>their act, they are no good with high load of multiple traffic
>variables and types.

I don't know much about them, but I see they have a nice GUI.

>Have you heard of ETINC - www.etinc.com - although this would be a
>dedicated box.

This solution is quite expensive at more than $2000 a box (at last
look).  The guy that sells this is very famous for being a difficult person
-- from what I know, he does the programming and tech support (not a recipe
for friendly tech support).  And it can't do much more unless you are a
linux guru -- better to go with the linux or bsd option then.  The Mikrotik
box is $495 with these features.

>If Robert already has a Cisco router as specified earlier, it's a
>cheaper alternative.

Certainly, but it depends on how must power the Cisco box has -- Cisco puts
the lowest power cpu possible for routing in most boxes and you need to
check the shaping throughput.

John
www.mikrotik.com

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org