Re: [spam score 3/10 -pobox] RE: Router with bandwidth management

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 03:00:37PM +0300, Mark Tinka wrote:
> Brian, you can do full queueing, prioritisation and compression on Cisco
> routers.

I don't think it's possible to do traffic shaping on an ethernet or dialer
interface of a Cisco router, in the way I described (i.e. out-of-profile
traffic is queued/delayed, not dropped) but if I'm wrong I'd certainly like
to see how to do it.

I wouldn't want it because of insufficient bandwidth or congestion, it's for
product differentiation. For example, given a 512K physical layer (DSL), you
may wish to sell a 256K service to the customer.

As another example, in London it's very cheap to buy a 100Mbps LAN-extension
service over fibre from the local telcos - in many cases similar cost to a
2M SDH circuit. But the customer probably doesn't want to buy 100Mbps of
transit - they may only want 5Mbps, or 20Mbps, or whatever. So you want to
be able to control their flow rate on an ethernet interface, to give a
simulated 5Mbps leased line (say).

I think that's pretty similar to the wireless problem discussed here - given
a link layer which might run at up to 11Mbps, you want to be able to
restrict the Internet usage of individual customers to say 64Kbps or
whatever they have contracted to buy.

> The 4 main culprits are:
>
> 1. FIFO - First In First Out
> 2. WFQ - Weighted Fair Queueing
> 3. Priority Queueing
> 4. Custom Queueing

But do any of those let you control the *amount* of bandwidth assigned to a
particular user or flow, in absolute terms (i.e. X Mbps per second)? I
thought they were all just relative (i.e. flow X packets take priority over
flow Y)

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org