RE: Router with bandwidth management

Brian, you can do full queueing, prioritisation and compression on Cisco
routers. The only restriction and limitation I would have with this is it's
not the most effective way to manage bandwidth and traffic, and is typically
recommended for use on [WAN] interfaces that support less than 2Mbps, to
solve TEMPORARY congestion problems.

The best thing to do would be to simply upgrade your bandwidth to
accommodate your growth, but just to give you some ways Cisco can shape
traffic:

The 4 main culprits are:

1. FIFO - First In First Out
2. WFQ - Weighted Fair Queueing
3. Priority Queueing
4. Custom Queueing

1. FIFO - is the most basic and straight forward. Packets are sorted and
processed based on the time they came in. The first packet that came in will
be the first to leave.

2. WFQ - allows more interactive traffic such as Telnet and SSH to have
higher priority over larger traffic such as FTP. Low volume traffic is given
higher priority. Traffic is sorted into high and low volume conversations.
Traffic in one session is kept within a single session/conversation and the
records handled FIFO-style within a particular conversation. The much needed
bandwidth is given to the more interactive, low volume traffic, and the high
volume sessions equally share what is left over. On Cisco, WFQ is on by
default for WAN interfaces that support it.

3. Priority Queueing - this gives absolute control over throughput, as well
as granular control that reduces delay for high priority traffic. Cisco's
implementation of this strategy uses 4 queues; high, medium, normal and low.
High priority traffic gets the benefit of all resources available on an
output interface until its queue is empty. The medium queue is then tackled,
and so on and so forth. Meanwhile, low priority traffic in the normal and
low queues has no choice but to wait for the higher queues to complete their
processes; but during this waiting period, traffic can age and even get
purged from memory if the queue overflows. If an overflow occurs, all new
packets meant for that queue are dropped until some space becomes available
in the queue.

4. Custom Queueing - this allows the sharing of all available bandwidth
evenly or unevenly across all traffic types. A percentage of the bandwidth
is allocated to each of the traffic types. The difference between it and
priority queueing is that its queues are processed in a round-robin
sequence, or multiplexed. So, high priority traffic won't have to be
serviced first as no traffic is designated with a higher priority over the
rest of the traffic.

But like I said, any of these methods should be used for temporary or
emergency situations. It's not considered an end-solution to bandwidth
problems. One should either upgrade, or employ a bandwidth manager +
queueing.

Regards,

Mark Tinka - CCNA
Network Engineer