Re: SAT-3 / WASC

On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 08:40  PM, Brian Longwe wrote:

>> If anyone can offer corrections or fill in the gaps, I'd appreciate
>> it.
>> These cables are a fat pipe but currently, it seems that the tap is
>> closed.
>>

> fat pipe for sure - but controlled by incumbent telcos who have set
the
> prices/policies to ensure that their monopolys<sic> are protected

since they're so focused on long-distance prices, it would be insane
for them to give away cheap access to the pipe, because anyone would
just turn around and offer cut-rate services. I don't think that the
telcos can change quickly enough to compete in a cut-rate market. The
american/european telcos are all suffering badly, and it's going to get

worse with VoIP penetrating those markets as well. They don't have the
stranglehold on the government, to protect themselves in any way.

> what is needed is either equal access to facilities by competitive
> local
> carriers or competitive fibre landings.

What would happen if the companies were allowed to sell fibre service
in the countries next door? That would create competition to drive down

the prices.

> Of course, there's no point having abundant external connectivity if
> there's nowhere to take it, so internal infrastructure, fat fibre
> pipes,
> "digital arteries" should be encouraged.

True ... you could try to bootstrap the process by building bandwidth
barns right next to the landings or POPs and selling the bandwidth real

cheap, take the money from that an invest in the infrastructure.

> what came first, the chicken or the egg?

simon

--
www.simonwoodside.com -- 99% Devil, 1% Angel

=====