Re: How setup and configued ssh and telnet access is Linnx 7.2

If you have installed Red Hat version 7.2, then _be sure_ that you update
your version of SSH that you are using. Check for your version by doing:

rpm -qa | grep ssh

Assuming you are running OpenSSH, then have a look at:

	http://www.openssh.org/security.html

to get a feel for why you might want to start out with a newer version of
SSH. From rpmfind.net I was able to find an OpenSSH 3.5p1 rpm for Red Hat.
From the Red Hat site I could find a 3.4p1-2 version at:

	http://www.redhat.com/apps/download/

By searching on the string 'openssh'

If you want to see some discussions of how to use SSH practically see my
SSH presentation from the last AfNOG workshop in 2002:

	http://www.ws.afnog.org/afnog2002/track1/security/index.htm

Whatever you do, you _definitely_ want to run SSH vs. Telnet, and SCP vs.
FTP (you can use SFTP as well). If you let your users in via Telnet on
your security will be compromised. Note, other protocols that send user
passwords in the clear by default are POP and IMAP as well as HTTP for
Webmail. You should consider using an SSL certificate for all three to
make them secure as well.

Goodl luck.

Sincerely,
	- Hervey Allen for nsrc.org