From: "Hassan O. Ali" <hassan at magma.ca>
Date: Fri Jun 6, 2003  12:58:54  AM America/Montreal
Cc: "'eThinkTankTz at yahoogroups.com'" <eThinkTankTz at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [www.eThinkTankTz.org] 2.4 GHZ Band - Any Comment?

I actually thought TCC was there, first and foremost, to safeguard the
interests of the Tanzanian public. This recent announcement from them
doesn't really attest to that. It only shows how a body expected to
make
it easy for the public to communicate, has actually been (figuratively)
walking around cutting the communication channels.

In fact it's ironic that TCC is putting a plug on the 2.4 GHz ISM band
in a country where communication infrastructure is way behind compared
to other countries where the 2.4 GHz ISM band is still unlicenced. Why
should we always be pulling ourselves back instead of using latest
technologies to make it affordable for the majority of our people to
communicate?

A couple of things seem odd in Tanzania. For example, in many developed
countries, you don't need a special licence to operate as an ISP. ISP's
are treated just like any other companies with same applicable
registration and licencing fees. Any one can open an ISP business with
no limit whatsoever in the number of them at any level - regional,
national, etc. But in Tanzania, ISP's are treated as some special
companies with some special (hefty) licensing fees. It's as if TCC is
discouraging enterpreuners to start ISP business in Tanzania!

We saw how TCC killed the VOIP service. When it was first introduced in
Tanzania, many Tanzanians could afford making overseas calls. It was
dirt cheap! Apparently, TCC didn't want Tanzanians to have an easy ride
and they intervened. The VOIP  service is literally gone.

And now it is this ISM band at 2.4 GHz and I'm sure at the 5 GHz band
as
well. There are hundreds of gadgets utilizing the ISM bands that are
already in market. Those gadgets can revolutionize wireless voice
communication in small areas such as in office campuses, schools, small
villages, towns and even private communication between individuals
(walkie-talkie style). Tanzanians should have really benefitted from
those gadgets but now it seems TCC is going to distrupt that. While
others introduce "distruptive technologies", TCC seems to employ
"distruptive orders". What a pity!

I sincerelly hope TCC will reconsider its decision to licence the
"unlicenced" ISM bands.

Disappointed,

Hassan,
Ottawa.

Salim Khatri wrote:

Dear eThinkTankers,

I read the following quarter page notice by Tanzania Communications
Commission in The Guardina newspaper of today, June 3, 2003.

TANZANIA COMMUNICATION COMMISSION

[TCC Logo]

PUBLIC NOTICE ON THE USE OF THE 2.4 GHZ BAND

All Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and the general
Public are reminded that the use of wireless access
radio equipment in the 2.4 GHz band, is subject to a
licensing process, whereby a licence is issued upon
payment of a corresponding fee as stipulated under
Tanzania Communication Act No. 18 of 1993 as well as
in ISPs licence clause 5.0.

Legal action including confiscation of licences and
other regulatory actions will be taken against those
who will be found operating in 2.4 GHz band illegally.

Issued by:
        Director General
        Tanzania Communications Commission
        Dar es Salaam
        30th May, 2003

-- Hassan O. Ali            Email: hassan at magma.ca
12-2159 Elmira Drive     Tel/Fax: (613) 721-9047
Ottawa, Ontario
CANADA K2C 1H3           WWW: http://www.glcom.com/hassan

---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important
Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/6reolB/TM

If you do not want to receive emails from eThinkTankTz, then please
send a blank email to:

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

--