Re: DNS config.

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 03:22:41AM -0700, Paul wrote:

> hello,
> good day. pls I need info on how to insatll exim in
> redhat linux version 7.2

Like all software you have two approaches:
(1) find a compiled package (RPM) which someone else has compiled, and
    install that; or
(2) compile and install it yourself from source

Personally I'd go with option (2) since it lets you upgrade to new versions
before the RPMs have been updated, and lets you set compile-time options
(such as whether you want Exim's Maildir transport enabled). It's also the
same procedure regardless of which type of Unix you're running under.

Full installation instructions are included inside the Exim source tarball,
or you can follow Philip Hazel's simple worksheet which was used in the
Afnog2003 workshop:
http://www.ws.afnog.org/afnog2003/track1/exim/index.htm
and see "Exim Practical Exercises". You'll probably find the rest of the
materials interesting as well though!

Before installation you need to create an "exim" user and group, and you
should also add your own normal login account into the "exim" group (this
lets you do things like monitoring the exim queue and reading exim log files
without having to su to root)

Under Linux I think it's something like

    useradd -u 90 -d /var/spool/exim exim

to create user 'exim' as userid and groupid 90 (but it's been a long time
since I've used Linux)

Regards,

Brian.