[afnog] Re: W32.Sobig.E at mm

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 05:53:03PM +0300, Mark Tinka wrote:
> Brian Candler wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 05:12:03PM +0300, Mark Tinka wrote:
> >> Maybe if a list member decided to withdraw his subscription to the
> >> list, on account of the uol.co.ug MX being a virus gateway, how much
> >> intellectual benefit has been lost on that account?
> >
> > Very little, since they clearly have no clue.
>
> Mmmm, how list-centric!

You gave a hypothetical situation: list member X decides to remove his/her
subscription from this list *because* he/she received a virus through it.

In that hypothetical situation, I assert that if X does not have enough clue
to realise that he/she needs virus protection on their own machine, not on
the mailing lists that they are subscribed to, then they are not very
technical.

I do not think that there is anyone who falls into category X on this list,
incidentally.

> However, list users can look at the bigger picture, and perhaps not expect
> the list to check their e-mail, but rather, install anti-virus scanners on
> their computers and/or MX gateways.

Absolutely. That was the point I was trying to make in the first place:
protect your own system. The benefit of having mail from uol.co.ug scan your
afnog mail is minimal, when most of your incoming mail comes from other
sources anyway.

Cheers,

Brian.