Re: [afnog] Red Hat 8.0 as a router

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 01:19:08PM -0700, Daniel Obuobi wrote:
> 2)For the NAT I want to add the following to the
> rc.local file but its look like it is not available on
> RedHat Linux 8.0:
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
> /sbin/ipchains -A Forward -s 192.168.0.0/24 -d
> 0.0.0.0/0 -j MASQ
> Which other option is available?

I think ipchains has been superceded by iptables, I lost track of how many
different firewalling implementations Linux has...

> 3)Finally I need to configure the same box as a
> router?  What is the best way. I hope my question is
> clear now.

If it forwards IP packets, then it is a router, so I'm not sure exactly what
you mean in addition to that...

Cheers,

Brian.
This is the Africa Network Operators' Group(AfNOG)
technical discussion list.
The AfNOG website is: <http://www.afnog.org>