RE: [afnog] VLAN setup with linux

afnog-bounces at afnog.org wrote:
> Hi Charlie,
>
>> is there a linux package i could use to implement VLANs the way cisco
>> switches do it? in other words a substitute for VLAN capable
>> switches. i hope this makes sense.
>
> As far as I know, this depends on the driver of the ethernet card. I
> think linux is able to manage VLANs and 802.1q trunks with 3Com
> 905b/c cards (need to be checked). As far as I remember you need to
> add some options in the kernel for that.
>
> Does anyone on the list have any experience with this?
>
> Pascal

The Linux kernel does support 802.1Q VLAN trunking. You just need to
recompile the kernel.

But the question was, does Charlie want to do 'VLAN trunking', or does he
want to implement 'VLANs' like Cisco switches do?

Regards,

Mark Tinka - CCNP
Network Engineer, Africa Online Uganda

This is the Africa Network Operators' Group(AfNOG)
technical discussion list.
The AfNOG website is: <http://www.afnog.org>