Linux vs BSD was "RE: [afnog] VLAN setup with linux"

Hello Bill,

At 10:19 PM 8/19/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>     > > yeah , u got my question right, i want to implement VLANs with a
>     > > linux box like cisco switches do, if possible thanx
>
>If there's a linux variant that supports VLANs, I don't know about it.
>However, VLAN support is native in FreeBSD and NetBSD.

Linux does support VLANs.

>You probably shouldn't be trying to run production services on linux,
>anyway.

This sounds just like an off the wall opinion.  The number of high end
critical applications using linux for networking, firewalling, and web
services is too numerous to list.  We could start with two out of the top
five fastest computers in the world (the second one is in
production).  Akamai which is quite giant as a subcontractor for web
caching in central locations around the world -- and the list can go on and
on and on.

Linux has become much more of a standard for web services and networking in
the past few years -- with IBM supporting it as a major OS for its hardware
ad software.  I think Bill's comments are out of date now.

John
www.mikrotik.com

)