From: afnog-bounces at afnog.org [mailto:afnog-bounces at afnog.org]On Behalf
Of Mark Tinka
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 5:23 PM
To: 'Brian Candler'; 'Alamicha Chapuma'
Cc: afnog at afnog.org
Subject: RE: [afnog]iWay Like Connectivity

afnog-bounces at afnog.org wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 02:21:25PM +0200, Alamicha Chapuma wrote:
>>    I represent an ISP in Malawi.  We would like to implement a
>>    Broadband Internet Connectivity Solution that is comparable to
>>    what iWay Africa offers.  Do you know of any alternatives?
>
> Can you describe the iWay Africa service - e.g. how do the end-users
> connect, what kind of service do they get?
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.

If I'm not mistaken, I think they use low-rate parabolic satellite antenna,
as default installation. I've heard even 1.8m antennae are now supported,
which should allow for greater bit-rates.

It's a VSAT solution that supports typical VSAT TDMA uplink service, and DVB
dowlink service. RTT is reported at 700ms. Almost all of Africa is
apparently covered.

Regards,

Mark Tinka - CCNP
Network Engineer, Africa Online Uganda