[afnog] Looking for Open Source Solution

JP Viljoen froztbyte at froztbyte.net
Mon Dec 19 09:11:13 UTC 2011

 On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 00:23:06 -0800 (PST), ANTHONY GESASE
 <anthonygesase at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I am looking for an open source solution to the following.
>
> 	* windows (windows 7)users logs into a domain (windows server 2008),
> there is shared drive where by each department has its own folder
> (but
> there are users who have access to more than one folder belonging to
> different departments)
> 	* users create folders (i.e research, events, publications, outreach
> ... ) but some times finds it difficult to locate documents they
> initially created, and ends up creating duplicates.
>
> 	* Ideally , i would like to restrict users from creating duplicates,
> but be able to organise their files and folders in a best way that
> could enable them find documents/files they are looking for.
>
> Is there any open source solution ( running linux ) that could solve
> this problem?

 The first thing you look for is called a Primary Domain Controller, and
 a quick search for 'samba pdc' turned up TurnkeyLinux[0]. I haven't
 tested it before, but the feature listing seems to have everything you'd
 want.

 The second set of options you want is something like Sharepoint? There
 are various ways you could approach this problem, each way influenced by
 your requirements and how people work with documentation in your
 organization. Practically you could perhaps get away with as little as
 KnowledgeTree[1], or you may want as much as provided by Mindtouch[2].
 I'd strongly suggest doing some reading about Document Management
 Systems to see which can work for you. As is often the case, Wikipedia
 has a listing[3] which may start you off well.

 -J

 [0] - http://www.turnkeylinux.org/domain-controller
 [1] - http://knowledgetree.com/
 [2] - http://www.mindtouch.com/