[afnog] Speed Test Results

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Dec 24 08:24:52 UTC 2011

On Friday, December 23, 2011 05:20:32 PM jacob miller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am having a debate on the results of speed tests sites.
>
> Am interested in knowing the thoughts of different
> individuals in regards to this.

I don't trust them as a network operator. Too many variables
to account for.

But users love them because:

	a) It gives them a chance to go complain to their
	   ISP. Which user doesn't love that :-).

	b) They're usually pretty pictures. Which user
	   doesn't love pretty pictures.

Tricks abound on what some ISP's do with in-house systems to
make the link look better than it actually is. That said,
some in-house solutions are actually relatively reliable.

You can partner with some of these folks like
http://www.speedtest.net/ to get some boxes in your facility
and provide more useful results.

What I've always suggested is getting your customers to poll
an internally-hosted FTP server. That should tell them how
good their last mile to you is, as that tends to be where
the majority of issues lie, particularly if it's wireless
and/or if you don't own the last mile infrastructure.