[afnog] PUMA - Opensource solutions

Ismail M. Settenda ismail at habari.co.tz
Thu Apr 26 09:38:27 UTC 2012

Thanks Phil,

*>>The first one that comes to mind is "sudo" + syslog on UNIX
systems. Other than that, any of the MAC (Mandatory Access Control) systems
>>on Unix/Linux would deliver 1 and 2 - systems like AppArmor will enforce
and/or log access to resources by applications and users alike.*

Yeah, though I was hoping for a software or tool that combines this like
say Nessus does for vulnerability assessment, not restrict one but spot
irregularities i.e when 2-4 sysadmin are logged into the system instead of
one having to type “w”, it automates this and preferably work for both
Linux and Windows.

*>>If you're thinking about something else, or have a commercial tool you
can cite as a reference, that might help orient the search :)*

True, kinda depends what I needed done, but I guess what rancid also does
for routers would work here. Ones notified when a change is made and one
can track and so has ref material to undo the change, etc. The commercial
tools I have come across so far are;

   - Consul InSight Security Manager
   - Oversight’s B-PUMA
   - Tizor’s Mantra
   - SANS-Logrhythm

Though these are more designed for enterprises and thus bulky, likely quite
expensive to buy or manage and would be overkill for a SOHO/SMB.

--
Ismail