[afnog] Ratio up linking on default route

Graham Beneke graham at neology.co.za
Fri Aug 3 04:16:00 UTC 2012

On 02/08/2012 19:19, Righa Shake wrote:
> The upstream have unequal capacity.I would like to do more like like a
> ratio based uplink.

Why would you like to do that? Is your upstream traffic exceeding the
capacity of your larger link?

> I want to do like a ration of 1:3.
>
> one packet on gateway one and 3 packets on gateway two.

I would recommend against that. If you try to do per-packet load
balancing there is a good chance that you will end up with out of order
packets at the receiving end which will degrade your TCP performance.

If you want to load balance then it needs to be done in such a way that
most of the packets from a single TCP session flow via a single path.

Why not accept partial BGP table and BGP default from both providers and
then preference the default route from your larger provider?

--
Graham Beneke