[afnog] VPN mtu

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 21:26:54 UTC 2012

Hello Emmanuel,

On which interface did you do the reduction? trust its on the local side of
the link? and you used something similar to below:

ip tcp adjust-mss 1300

Perhaps you could check packet size that goes through and then configure
with that, you can use the following(i am using debian):  ping  <other side
url>-s 1300   (increase or reduce the MTU untill you get a perfect one and
then apply the command above)

Cheers!
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Onowojo E. <onowojemma at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> i just configure an ipsec site to site vpn between Asa and a cisco 2811
> router using cisco ASDM and CCP ,but the tunnel comes up when i did and
> extended ping and after a while it goes down i try use cisco configuration
> professional (ccp ) to trouble shoot the link and it bring out this error "A
> ping with data size of this VPN interface MTU size and 'Do not Fragment'
> bit set to the other end VPN device is failing. This may happen if there
> is a lesser MTU network which drops the 'Do not fragment' packets."
> CCp suggests I can use crypto ipsec df-bit clear to resolve this or
> contact our  ISP to resolve
> i have reduce the mtu on the ASA and the router to 1300,1460, 1400 and
>  1480 but still the network is slow and the tunnel will just go off   when
> more user use the network and the tunnel goes down.
> they are for branch and linking to the asa.
> thanks for all you support in advance
>
> *God be with u all*
> *A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart
> *.

*Seun Ojedeji,
Federal University Oye-Ekiti
web:      http://www.fuoye.edu.ng