[afnog] ISSUES with UBUNTU

matogoro jabera jaberamatogoro at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 12:44:48 UTC 2012

Scribus is the best than even Publisher, because Scribus support layers
while MS Publisher does not. Scribus is one of my favorite Graphics Package
although you can also use inkscape vector.

You can also prefer to implement local policy in your Microsoft PC, go to
start>run> then type mmc which you can set some policies on your local
pc...I know your running Microsoft Softwares in your environment so I
advice to check-out on the best way of managing the specific pc from
viruses than just running away from the problem.

Thanks, Karibu

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Phil Regnauld <regnauld at nsrc.org> wrote:

> Yasini Kilima (ykilima) writes:
> > Hello Phil,
> >
> > The reason why I want to avoid Windows OS is the issue of Viruses, The
> environment I will use the system is no INTERNET so I cannot update any
> Antivirus Software.
> > By this means I will still need to run Windows OS on Ubuntu just for
> Microsoft Publisher.
> > Thus if one inserts a flash disk with virus it will infect the Virtual
> OS just same as it would on a physical box.
> >
> > Thus I am trying to avoid as much as possible not to boot any Windows
> while benefiting from other Microsoft applications specifically Publisher.
>
>         Hi Yasini,
>
>        You are absolutely correct, and that is a very reasonable reason
>        not to run windows. Apologies if that was stated in your original
>        mail as a motivation, and if I didn't pay attention :)
>
>        It would therefore be best to attempt Wine/Crossover, and possibly
>        learn Scribus.
>
>        Cheers,
>        Phil

MATOGORO Jabhera
Instructor Cum Technical Staff, University Computing Centre (2008-Aug.2009)
Computer Programmer/Systems Analyst I, UDOM-ICT Unit (Sept.2009-Dec.2011)
ARIS Database Administrator-UDOM (2010-To Date)
Assistant Lecturer,UDOM-School of Informatics (14 Dec.2011-To Date)
The University of Dodoma-UDOM