[afnog] IPv 6 Point to Point at /64?

Yasini Kilima ykilima at tra.go.tz
Tue Jun 5 12:10:58 UTC 2012

Hello guys,

I could seek an advice from a single person but I feel to get the advice from here just to get the majority experience and perhaps help someone else with a similar challenge.

I know RFC 4291 requires us to configure our Point to Point hosts on ipv6 at /64
For sure this is an obvious waste of IP addresses, How can I spend a block of /64 just to connect 2 hosts?

I want to go against this recommendation, and do further subnetting.
I wish to subnet one of my /64 blocks from my /48 to /126 for Point to Point connections which will handle my point to point links for almost more than 100 years to come of my network growth.
I also believe the /48 block will still survive the growth for more than those years as well.

During the AfNOG Workshop on AR-E in 2011 it was pointed out that even on point to point connections we have to use /64 instead of subnetting further at /126 or /120 as this could cause potential problems in the future but the teacher didn't tell or more correctly I didn't catch which potential problems can one face in the future. Also the document doesn't tell those problems.

And as far as my eyes are concerned on this I don't see any potential problem to happen tomorrow.

One thing I can agree on the ipv6 representation is the complex format for a beginner and especially someone who was away from Binary Maths during his school days of whom in this venue I don't expect any.

Perhaps this was just to make people's life easier not to burn their brain in doing further subnetting as yes hexadecimal is a bitter cake especially with binary consideration in mind.

I wish I could live to see this!!

Can you please Advise on this?

Yasini.

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and any attachments are proprietary to TANZANIA REVENUE AUTHORITY.Any unauthorized use or interception is illegal. The views and opinions expressed are those of the sender, unless clearly stated as being those of TANZANIA REVENUE AUTHORITY. This e-mail is only addressed to the addressee and TANZANIA REVENUE AUTHORITY shall not be responsible for any further publication of the contents of this e-mail. If this e-mail is not addressed to you, you may not copy, print, distribute or disclose the contents to anyone nor act on its contents. If you received this in error, please inform the sender and delete this e-mail from your computer.