[afnog] Help needed: Tape drive access on VirtualBox

Jainaba Sissoho jainaba.sissoho at qcell.gm
Tue Jun 5 17:41:44 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I hope someone can help!

I am fairly new to using tape drives with Linux, and this is the first am
trying to connect a tape device to a Virtual machine running Linux or any
OS.

I have a VirtualBox installed on a Windows Server 2003 machine. The
VirtualBox is running Ubuntu 10.04 which I intend to use as a backup server
if tests succeed. The host machine is connected to a SCSI tape drive which
is detected and be used in Windows. However I cannot detect the default unix
drive for tapes on my virtual file system which I understand is /dev/st0.
Here is an output from my machine:

****@****-Ubuntu:~$ mt -f /dev/st0 status
mt: /dev/st0: rmtopen failed: No such file or directory

Question:

1.       Are there any other drive names for tape devices apart from
/dev/st0?

2.       How to I mount and access the tape drive from the virtual machine
if this possible at all.

Thank you.

IT & Billing Officer

 <http://www.qcell.gm/> www.qcell.gm

The Only 3G Network in The Gambia

  _____

Tel: (+220) 310-0265 | 333-3265

Fax: (+220) 437-6311

Email: jainaba.sissoho at qcell.gm

QCell House|Kairaba Avenue |P.O.Box 3469 |Serrekunda| The Gambia | West
Africa