[afnog] IPv 6 Point to Point at /64?

Iñigo Ortiz de Urbina inigo at infornografia.net
Wed Jun 6 13:04:49 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr>wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 12:10:58PM +0000,
>  Yasini Kilima <ykilima at tra.go.tz> wrote
>  a message of 36 lines which said:
>
> > Hello guys,
>
> Stealing a thread by replying to an unrelated message is BAD and break
> thread reading.
>
> > I know RFC 4291 requires us to configure our Point to Point hosts on
> > ipv6 at /64
>
> It has been deprecated by RFC 6164 "Using 127-Bit IPv6 Prefixes on
> Inter-Router Links", which recommends a /127.

There was this document I cannot remember (RFC3627?), in which I read there
were some concerns on using /127 for links which endpoints belong to
different vendors. This was due, IIRC, to the possible differences in
subnet-router anycast address treatment/implementation.

I think it was a rather old document, and perhaps the operational
experience mentioned in RFC6164 includes this interoperability issues.

Did any of you have problems running /127s? Do they still persist in modern
equipment?

TIA

- Así que este es el futuro del hombre: calentarse a los rayos del sol,
bañarse en las claras corrientes de agua, y comer los frutos de la tierra
olvidando todo trabajo y fatiga.

- Bueno, y por qué no?

"El tiempo en sus manos"