[afnog] med cables

Michuki Mwangi michuki at swiftkenya.com
Thu Jun 14 08:39:34 UTC 2012

On 6/14/12 9:38 AM, Randy Bush wrote:
> is it true that i-me-we and eig do not touch down in algeria, tunisia,
> or maroc?  if not, will they?

According to the Africa undersea cable maps by Steve Song (which is
quite accurate) they don't touch the 3 countries.

http://manypossibilities.net/african-undersea-cables/

As to whether they will, that's a good question. Considering that the
cables are operational, it depends on if there were provisions made in
the cable design for additional landings, NO?. Most importantly,
considering that these countries have alternatives to Europe - where
most of their traffic is destined to, the economics would need to make
sense for the cable consortium owners/operators to admit new
entrants/landing points.

However am not knowledgeable about North Africa to give an informed
response :(.

My 2 cents,

Michuki