[afnog] Cisco sfp module operating temperature

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Mar 1 01:27:40 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, February 29, 2012 05:26:11 PM Markus A.
Wipfler wrote:

> Is it possible to use COM SFP module with router ports
> that require EXT temp range (since COM seems to fall
> into EXT temp range)?

I don't think the restriction is on the router side re:
temperature, but rather what form factor is required for
that particular port.

From my experience, all SFP-GE-X Gig-E optics from Cisco are
classified in the extended operating temperature range,
while the older GLC-XX-XX are in the commercial operating
temperature range classifications.

The exception with the GLC-XX-XX optics is the GLC-XX-MMD
and GLC-XX-SMD. Those are classified as extended operating
temperature optics with support for DOM.

Of course, none of this matters as your router port will
determine what you need. Typically, Cisco Catalyst switches
require the GLC-XX-XX optics, while Cisco routers use the
SFP-GE-XX optics. I have come across situations where the
different optical types work in a different platform type,
but that would normally be an unsupported configuration,
unless specifically marked as supported, e.g., the in-built
switch in a Cisco CRS router RP which is used in multi-
chassis deployments for distributed control plane
processing.

I suppose if your box requires the GLC-XX-XX type modules,
you can go for the -MMD or -SMD versions which work in
higher temperatures while offering DOM.

Hope this helps.