[afnog] RE-B-1800X1-4G-WW-S

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Mar 19 03:50:51 UTC 2012

On Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:08:43 PM ibtisam jamal wrote:

> Anyone with the technical documentation for
> RE-B-1800X1-4G-WW-S  Spare Routing Engine with 1.73GHz
> processor, 4GB DDR3 memory with ECC, 64 GB SSD and 4GB
> compact flash .
>
> I wanted to check if it is compatible with juniper M10i .

The RE-B-1800X1 routing engine replaces the outgoing RE-850
for the M7i/M10i platform.

The RE-B-1800X1 is a 1.73GHz Intel Jasper Forest CPU with
4GB DDR3 memory. I'm not sure how much storage is on the RE,
but SSD drives are the way forward these days (and compact
flash is still expected).

The new RE should be available with Junos 11.4R4, 12.1R2 and
12.2R1.

While the control plane of the M7i/M10i will be getting a
much-needed makeover, the forwarding plane will remain the
same, which may or may not be a problem for you.

However, it should allow Juniper houses to have a relatively
cheaper (and smaller) box they can use as a route reflector,
since the J-series boxes were effectively destroyed when
Juniper felt they were better off being security devices and
not routers. I just hope that 4GB DRAM is expandable in the
future, as it isn't much these days to hold a copy of Junos,
a couple of full BGP feeds + other internal stuff.