[afnog] RE-B-1800X1-4G-WW-S

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Mar 20 16:52:08 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 03:58:33 PM ibtisam jamal wrote:

> We have like 36 of these RE-400's and recently bought
> another 36 so that the RE's can be on a 1+1
> configuration .
> We have not yet installed them ,I was thinking if RE-850
> is being replaced by the RE-B-1800X1-4G-WW-S .RE-400
> could be facing the same.
>
> Could this be true ?

Well, the RE-850 was the upgrade path for the RE-400. For a
long time, the default RE that shipped for M7i/M10i bundles
was the RE-400, which allowed Juniper to sell the RE-850 as
an upgrade (more $$ for them).

Now, one would be hard-pressed to buy the M7i/M10i with the
RE-400 instead of the RE-850, but many bundles still sell
them like that, and most customers will prefer to pay less
money than more :-).

The RE-400's are okay. You just need to watch out for these:

	a) Make sure you have at least a 1GB compact flash
	   drive installed in there. All Junos since 9.0 has
	   required 1GB of space on the compact flash
	   (although I've been able to install a copy of
	   Junos 10.4 on a 256MB compact flash drive,
	   something I'd only recommend to my competitors).

	b) Have a hard drive on standby; they tend to fail
	   quite a bit.

	c) Install the full 768MB of DRAM, especially if you
	   plan to hold a few full BGP tables. However, this
	   won't scale as your BGP needs grow.

Cheers,