[afnog] Network Monitoring Tools

david aliata aliatadavid at gmail.com
Wed May 9 15:23:27 UTC 2012

Hello Guys,

I would like some advice on free monitoring tools that you are using to
monitor your WAN.Specifically,I have several sites whose internet
connections is terminated on Cisco ASA

5510,Cisco 1941/1841,Catalyst Switches and Cisco AP's.I would like to be
able to capture traffic from this sites and analyze this so that i can
determine

                                                        I.            Who
are our Top Talkers and who are they "talking" to in this sites

                                                        II.          What
websites are routinely being visited and what is being downloaded

                                                      III.          If
there are any  signs of rogue network applications or malicious activity on
the network

                                                     IV.            Determine
Top applications in use in a particular site and bandwidth requirements

Any ideas are appreciated.

Regards!

Aliata D.
"I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or
the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the
brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all".
Ecclesiastes 9:11