[afnog] Cisco MPLS VPNV4 issue

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue May 22 20:15:31 UTC 2012

On Monday, May 21, 2012 08:03:58 PM Meftah Tayeb wrote:

> hello guys,
> i'm building a simple VPNV4 where the P is a cisco C2811,
> the PE 1 is a C2851 and the Pe2 is a Mikrotik RB493G;
> the issue is that the BGP anounce ofthe VRF "inet" is not
> anounced at all bethwan pe c2851 and P C2811
> here's the configuration:
> pe2851: http://dpaste.com/751223/
>
> P-2811 http://dpaste.com/751227/
>
> please can someone help ?

Meftah, your MPLS deployment seems overly complex.

Firstly, P routers don't necessarily participate in your
l3vpn, as their role is simply to switch MPLS frames, and
not be service-aware.

In your topology, the l3vpn service will run between your PE
routers only.

Looking at your configurations, I'd suggest numerous
optimizations on both routers:

	1. Don't force the MPLS label distribution protocol
	   to be LDP. For the release you're running, TDP is
	   now deprecated.

	2. Don't manually define your LDP neighbors. LDP
	   will discover them automatically.

	3. Don't set your LDP discovery transport address,
	   as you're globally setting LDP's Router-ID
	   anyway.

	4. Be aware of MTU issue when enabling MPLS on an
	   Ethernet interface.

	5. I see you have static routes on both routers, but
	   are running OSPF between the P Microtik routers.
	   This is confusing, but static routes will have
	   MPLS labels generated for them too.

	6. Don't create static FEC's (LSP bindings) for your
	   various routes. LDP will do this automatically.

Also, make sure your Microtik router supports MPLS and l3vpn
services (I'm not sure, never run one before).