[afnog] Nagios support

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sat May 26 13:02:34 UTC 2012

> May be I need to know something. From the server I installed nagios
> should I configure local mailserver like postfix or sendmail or I may
> use email addres that's located on the another server ?

nagios does not know how to do smtp, i.e. can not push the mail to
another server.  so, yes.

> root at localhost ~]# tail -f /var/log/maillog
> May 24 11:16:22 nagios sendmail[13393]: My unqualified host name (nagios) unknown; sleeping for retry
> May 24 11:17:01 nagios sendmail[13489]: My unqualified host name (nagios) unknown; sleeping for retry

you clearly have a local mail server, aka mail transfer agent, mta.

the problem is that it is not properly configured so is whinging at you.
but i am not an expert in that mta.  patrick, hervey, etc. will wake up
soon, and have far more sendmail/postfix fu than i.

randy