[afnog] Existance of a cisco 48 ports 10GBE and 4 uplink 40GB fiber

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Oct 22 08:59:36 UTC 2012

In case that is a bit pricey, think about Cisco's new 4500-X
platform.

It's a cool switch because it supports both 1Gbps and 10Gbps
on the same port, depending on whether you install an SFP or
SFP+ optic.

It doesn't have a 40Gbps uplink, but do you really need all
that? One could aggregate using 802.1AX, if necessary.

A similar unit on the Juniper side is the EX4550.

I wouldn't be too concerned about inter-op between Cisco
phones/cameras and a switch that properly supports 802.3af.
I've had good luck powering Cisco wi-fi access points off of
Juniper switches for a long time now.

Mark.