[afnog] Bind 9 DNS stats

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Mon Dec 9 15:32:51 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-09, at 09:59, Daren Hendricks <daren.hendricks at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to gather stats from our name servers running bind 9.3. I have setup bind to export statistics to file. The file contains total amount of successful, referrred, nxrrset, nxdomain, recursive and failed lookups.
>
> What I'm interested in is average response times for both recursive and authoritive lookups. Is there a way to get this information natively or does anyone know of a good tool/script to gather this information?

This is difficult to answer, as phrased. You need to work on the questions before you start looking for tools that will give you answers. The good news is that having a clear set of questions will help you in more ways than you anticipate.

Response time from where? Using what transport? At what times of the day, or week, or year?

Who are the clients that you most care about? Where are the resolvers that they use?

How dynamic is the information you're publishing in the DNS? Where are clients' queries answered most of the time, from a cache or directly from the authority servers?

This is similar to the question of Service Level Agreements that are frequently offered and accepted without sufficient understanding on the service provider or the user. What questions are you trying to answer? What measurements could be useful? Where could you make those measurements? How can you challenge the answers, to gauge their accuracy?

Joe