[afnog] Grub issue

Daniel Shaw daniel at afrinic.net
Tue Dec 10 10:28:04 UTC 2013

On Dec 10, 2013, at 14:08, Ebnou Med El Moustapha <ebnoum at eljawal.mr> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to reboot a server running Redhat Entreprise 5 but it is booting with grub program. I tried then to indicate the Linux kernel file using following command :
> root (hd0,2)
> kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-53.el5
> It return "error : 15 file not found"
> You Can see attached the file /boot/grub/menu.lst copied before rebooting server.
> Somebody has an idee ?
>
> Regards,
> Ebnou

Hello Ebnou,

This may not help at all, but a quick question: Has anything changed in the server in terms of disk or storage attached?
OR
Has there been any upgrade done (that might include a kernel version)?

"root (hd0,2)" indicates that grub is to treat the root of it's operations as the first hard disk as detected, and the 3rd partition on that disk.
Then when you specify "kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-53.el5" you are telling grub to look for a file that is actually (hd0,2)/xen.gz-2.6.18-53.el5 ... Which is not found.

So two possibilities:
1. (hd0,2) is not the drive you are looking for - something changed in the number of disks, or just the order they get detected in. So file file xen.gz-2.6.18-53.el5 exists, but on a different partition somewhere. You'd need to specify root (hdx,x) as something else.
2. The kernel file xen.gz-x.x.x.x does exist on (hd0,2), but isn't named exactly the same. For example an update bumped the version number to xen.gz-2.6.18-XX.el5, where XX is not 53. You can actually use tab-completion in grub, so you could try
kernel /xen<tab><tab> and see what's listed.

In fact, just kernel /<tab> may give you an idea of whether your disk partition is correct.