[afnog] www.afnog.org and IPv6

Geert Jan de Groot GeertJan.deGroot at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 15 00:21:33 UTC 2013

[Apologies for the wide distribution]

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 14:13:35 -0300 Hervey Allen wrote:
> Yup - Your afnog.org system admins are painfully aware of this.
> Afnog.org was brought up to a new version of FreeBSD - when this
> happened ipv6 reachability broke. Your email is timely as we've been
> working on this issue the past few days. The fix is in place, but we are
> waiting for a maintenance window to implement it.

It actually got fixed earlier today, sometime after SM's message.

Something very nasty happened with interface route caching because of the
described config issue earlier;
experimenting on unexpected issues on a remote box has to be done
carefully, and people are busy / travelling / daytimejob.
it was looked at earlier but this was a non-trivial thing to debug -
isn't it always?

But yeah, I'm happy to report that it got resolved.
If you're upgrading a FreeBSD box from 8.x to 9.x, please do check
the (changed) IPv6 syntax in /etc/rc.conf and update before you
bring up the new kernel.

Thanks for bringing up this (operational, non goal-setting) issue,

Geert Jan