[afnog] Online Job Recommendation

Jeff Mason jmason at Nashville-MDHA.org
Tue Jan 8 14:14:57 UTC 2013

OnForce.com - they text jobs to your phone and, if you have smartphone, you surf to the web site, review the ticket and click 'Accept.'
oDesk.com - You can work from Africa, India, US or anywhere. Basically, you list your skillsets, and they have clients that need someone to do a web site, or setup a server, and then, if you match, you can bid on how much you would do the job for.

One problem on oDesk is that the lowest bid usually wins, meaning that, if you charge $30 per hour to setup a Windows or Linux server, and someone else will do it for $1 per hour, which person do you think they will choose? Usually, they will choose the lowest bid.

OnForce is a good option for U.S., but a lot of their work involves "local / regional travel" - like you have to go to Home Depot and fix a credit card reader; or go to someone's house and rebuild a home computer; or go to Wal-Mart and replace a hard drive in one of the POS (Point of Sale) computers, etc.

When you setup your OnForce profile, you list your "base rate" (like $40 per hour) and you list how far you are willing to travel to work a task/project - I think I listed 60 mile radius.
BEFORE you get any tickets, you first are required to call back their phone number and make sure you get through a very brief interview, to make sure you are really interested in their work and that you are qualified.

I am not even sure if they have anything setup in Africa/Asia/Europe - they may be US-only.

OnForce.com and oDesk.com are the two main sites I've used and are pretty reputable. oDesk has some people who "troll" on there and try to get "free work" from you, which is against oDesk policy. Both sites pay directly into your PayPal.

Some other options are writing/technical  writing sites, like Yahoo and eHow - you can get $15 per article; and sometimes more (I've gotten $25 for some articles); and you get unlimited "performance hits," when writing for most sites - meaning a certain number of $ per every 1,000 hits on each article.
Some other writing sites are Triond.com and Hubpages.com. Hubpages.com partners with Google AdSense and lets you integrate (and get paid for) Google Ads in your articles.

Anyway, those are some options I have found useful for "online [and off-line]" job money when I am in a slump or just need extra beer money (I don't really drink beer, but I'm okay with the "money" part).

Jeff

From: afnog-bounces at afnog.org [mailto:afnog-bounces at afnog.org] On Behalf Of Dithane Ssenabulya
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2013 11:14 PM
To: afnog; afrigeek at psg.com
Subject: [afnog] Online Job Recommendation

Hi All,

I have interest in working online for pay,
However, facing a lot of fake sites lately, it's hard to figure which is genuine.
If you know any real ones, that you or a friend is using, please recommend.
Will be grateful.

Great Day,

Dithane.

Although MDHA has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in
this email, MDHA cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the
use of this email or attachments.

This communication is confidential and may contain privileged information intended
solely for the named addressee(s). It may not be used or disclosed except for the
purpose for which it has been sent. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not
copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. Please note that any views or
opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MDHA. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify MDHA by emailing systemadministrator at nashville-mdha.org, quoting the sender,
and then delete the message and any attached documents. MDHA accepts no liability or
responsibility for any onward transmission or use of emails and attachments having left
the MDHA domain.