[afnog] ATM vs POS

Nishal Goburdhan ndg at ieee.org
Fri Jan 11 08:34:33 UTC 2013

On 11 Jan 2013, at 9:05 AM, Frank Habicht <geier at geier.ne.tz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just to confirm / accelerate,
> can an ATM card like Cisco NM-1A-OC3-POM
> (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/12_4_mainline/atm_oc3.html)
>
> be used to connect to a "normal" STM-1 circuit, with IP transit provider
> (upstream) at the other end, where we presume they use a POS interface?
>
> 99% sure it's a NO.
> does anyone have any URL handy?

frank,

i don't have an authoratative url handy, but since the L2 framing supported by each card, isn't quite compatible, i don't see them working.
well, not unless you stick in some sort of mux in the middle, which kind of defeats the purposes... ;-)

if you are really looking to push 155mb/s (less overhead), you're much better off doing this on a 7200 with a PA-OC3-SMI variant.
when i last priced these, the PAs were cheaper than NMs and there's a glut of G1/G2s available.

--n.