[afnog] IPv6 Progress

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 01:29:35 UTC 2013

sent from Google nexus 4
On 30 Jul 2013 20:24, "Mark Tinka" <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 30, 2013 08:10:33 PM Leo Vegoda wrote:
>
> > Even if people are limited to IP-enabled handsets,
> > tablets, laptops and TVs there aren't enough addresses
> > in all of IPv4 to meet the needs of the people of
> > Africa. Once we add in things like IP-enabled health and
> > agricultural monitors, utility meters and road traffic
> > management systems you're zooming way past where IPv4
> > can cope, even with extensive use of NAT.
>
> I suppose the context was in comparison to the other RIR's
> that have run out of space, where there is still a fair
> chunk in Africa no going off at the same rate as would
> typically be seen in places like AP and EU.

+1

> I beleive, however, that it is understood that such a state
> is not constant.

Yeah it is me and you who know that. Those who sign the cheques don't
especially as their Yahoo.com, Google.com and perhaps facebook are
currently working for them and to make it worse, they look at the projected
year of v4 exhaustion in Africa with a smile of comfort :)
Nevertheless we engineers will keep doing the talking to make things happen
faster.
On a lighter note, I wish those critical services we access will go native
on v6 sooner than expected ;)
But again that can only remain a wish for quite a while as it seem service
providers are going to provide access on both IP versions for a longer
period; at least till the fraction on v6 to v4 users becomes significantly
different.

Cheers!