[afnog] IPv6 Progress

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Wed Jul 31 07:02:16 UTC 2013

Geert Jan de Groot (GeertJan.deGroot) writes:

> For now, unfortunately postponing IPv6 doesn't seem to have too
> many consequences. When (if?) that changes, then the consequences
> are theirs, not mine. I don't pity the ones left behind then.

	No, actually the consequences of an increasingly NATted network
	are everyone's burden, in terms of debugging, performance, etc.

	But as Seun pointed out, there isn't really any limit to how much
	you can NAT with the current increase in processing power. As the
	connectivity gets increasingly better, people will put bigger NAT
	boxes (1 Gbit/s NAT is trivial with a cheap PC, 10 Gbit/s not too
	difficult). Definitely a lower hanging fruit than setting up IPv6.

	If people were concerned about the impact of their behaviour on
	the network, everyone would have implemented egress filtering by
	now :)

	</devil's advocate>

	P.