[afnog] mailer on freebsd - smarthost and submit 587

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Sun Jun 23 12:32:28 UTC 2013

Hi all,

need help.
a server (freebsd 9.1) without full internet connectivity, need to use
rancid (apparently needs aliases) and mail out through smarthost with
submit at tcp:587 and authentication.

I tried:
- sendmail and auth part as client failed
- ssmtpd - but it didn't/doesn't take the aliases, so bad for rancid
- sendmail again, auth not working, smarthost denies (should if no auth)

Since I'm not full-time freebsd I want to stay as 'official', 'documented'
etc as possible. and for my prob the handbook doesn't seem to have the
answer. And a solution that can be found via google in 2 years is preferred.

root at stats1:/etc/mail # /etc/rc.d/sendmail restart
Stopping sendmail.
Waiting for PIDS: 82014.
Starting sendmail.
Warning: Option: AuthMechanisms requires SASL support (-DSASL)
Warning: Option: AuthOptions requires SASL support (-DSASL)
root at stats1:/etc/mail #

Apparently
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/smtp-auth.html
will be needed to submit with auth...   correct?

This server wanted to stay simple.... more monitoring that emailing functions.

Any other trick possible?
different mta?
simple, aliases, submut:587 to smarthost

Am about to look at opensmtpd soon.

Thanks,
Frank