[afnog] VPLS on C6500

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Mar 2 15:46:27 UTC 2013

On Thursday, February 28, 2013 03:04:19 PM Christian M
wrote:

> Hello Mark,
>
> As c6500 support only 4-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet and
> 2-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet ES+ cards
> (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5
> 718/ps708/data_sheet_c78-643759.html), this could turn
> out to be more expensive. As I need more port density,
> I'm thinking to use 7600-SIP-400 (I had previously made
> a mistake mentioning SIP-600) with Cisco 10-Port Gigabit
> Ethernet Shared Port Adapter (as its the one with the
> highest port density supported by c6500
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps626
> 7/product_data_sheet0900aecd804d884d.html).
>
> Thanks for your feedback.

Well, the reason the 6500 and 7600 can only support those
ES+ line cards is because when equipped with the SUP720
(6500 + 7600) or RSP720 (7600), each slot is only capable of
40Gbps worth of throughput.

Provided a supported line card is installed in a slot in one
of those chassis' with those supervisor modules, each will
have 2x 20Gbps connections to the switch fabric, hence the
40Gbps limitation.

Now, this limitation can be removed by upgrading to the new
and improved SUP-2T supervisor module, which provides
80Gbps/slot. Just don't forget that as of now, the SUP-2T is
only supported on the 6500, so if you ever want to move to a
7600, it won't work (as of now, anyway). Also, the SUP-2T is
only supported on the E-series 6500's, not the older non-E
ones.

Just as an FYI, if you require high-density 10Gbps ports in
each slot in your 6500, provided you're running a 40Gbps
switch fabric (i.e., the SUP720), you can only really ever
push 40Gbps through each slot. I say this because there are
several line cards that can provide more than 4x 10Gbps per
slot without the need for a SIP; however, such cards are
known as being "oversubscribed". See below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/product_data_sheet09186a00801dce34.html

But from that list, only the WS-X6704 is supported by the
SUP-2T (which supports VPLS). The rest if just FYI.

Not sure if you're aware, but there now exists the ES+ HD
line cards, which are high-density (hence the HD) line cards
supporting 8x 10Gbps per slot. However, two problems:

	1. This is an oversubscribed line card, as it
	   requires the SUP720 or RSP720, i.e., even if you
	   get 8x 10Gbps ports, you can only really push
	   40Gbps through each line card.

	2. This line card is only supported on the 7600 as
	   of now. I'd suggest hitting up your friendly SE
	   at Cisco to find out whether it will be supported
	   on the 6500.

Now, your problem with going for the SIP-400 is that it only
supports 5Gbps/slot. If you think you will run the 10-port
1Gbps SPA at or below that figure, then good. Otherwise, you
may need to consider the SIP-600, which supports
10Gbps/slot.

Have you considered other vendors :-)?

Hope this helps.

Cheers,