[afnog] OID value

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Tue Nov 12 20:25:38 UTC 2013

--- a.onuche at nixp.net wrote:
From: "Anibe Onuche" <a.onuche at nixp.net>

 The interface is to monitor a link for redundancy and I want to use nagios
 to implement an snmp ping to monitor and email me when there are issue.

There is no SNMP ping.  There're, "SNMP traps", which are sent when
the router itself has something to report (such as, an interface
went down), and "SNMP gets" where some software asks the router for
SNMP values (such as, what is the traffic rate on an interface).  It
sounds like you should start by reading some introductory material
on SNMP monitoring and then it'll be easier to find what you need
from the routers.  Here's one I found doing "snmp introduction" in a
web search engine like startpage.com.  It'll get you started.  You'll
be really surprised at how much you can find out about your network
once you become familiar with it and the tools that use it.

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/09/snmp-introduction

scott