[afnog] Can reach my server from the internet or LAN and not vise vasa.

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Oct 5 15:37:26 UTC 2013

On Saturday, October 05, 2013 05:24:51 PM
isabel.odida at gmail.com wrote:

> I have no firewall. Can't trace because it aint
> installed. Anyway other way I can find out what's wrong?

Basic troubleshooting will be required, so if you can get
traceroute installed on the server, that would help.

Can you find any interesting details when you traceroute to
the server from the LAN and Internet? Is the path taken the
same with both tests?

Can you ping the server from its closest upstream router?
How about the reverse; can you ping the router - acting as
the server's default gateway - from the server?

Does the upstream router have an ARP entry toward the
server, in its ARP table?

There is very little information to go on, hence the
otherwise open-ended questions :-\.