[afnog] Reverse DNS for /28 sub-allocation

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Mon Oct 7 13:47:09 UTC 2013

Austin Uwudia (auwudia) writes:
> All,
>
> I have sub-allocated a /28 subnet to a customer on my network and they want
> to do a reverse DNS to the their domain using one of the IP address.
> However, it appear it is not possible to do a RDNS on Afrinic database if it
> is not at least a /24.
>
> Can anyone help please?

	Hi Austin,

	You should become familiar with RFC2317 - it seems there is support
	for this according to:

	http://www.afrinic.net/en/services/rs/membership-types/123-afrinic-policy-for-reverse-delegation-on-allocated-ip-addresses

	For delegations of address blocks smaller than a /24 the method described in "Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA Delegation"[RFC 2317] will be used

	However, someone more familiar with the Afrinic DB might have some
	additional input on the exact way to do this :)

	Cheers,
	Phil